Monday, July 23, 2012

The experiences keep getting more interesting.


It's not as bad as it looks



My love for cheese has given me one of the more interesting experiences of this voyage to Perugia. I love cheese so much that often I find myself sneaking pieces of it around midnight, especially parmaggiano reggiano and grana padano. Well, being here in Italy I just can’t seem to stay away from it and find myself opening the refrigerator and pulling the block of cheese out two or three times a night to have a small piece. This is what initiated my adventure.

While cutting off a piece of Parmaggiano late Friday night the knife slipped and I cut myself pretty deep on my left hand. It was a bit of a shock, and it took me a few minutes to come to terms with the fact I needed stitches - and a band aid was not going to cut it (pun intended).

I am sure this might gross a few of you out so be warned. I cleaned the wound with disinfectant and sterilized a needle before stupidly trying to stitch it up myself. I did get one stitch done before realizing I was going to need to go to the hospital.

I was more freaked out by the idea of going to a hospital in a foreign country than trying to stitch up my own hand. I was not sure where the hospital was located nor how in the world I was going to get there.


Actually, there was very little pain and not a lot of blood, just a disgusting hole in my hand. I emailed a friend and received a response almost immediately and was bummed to find out he was out of town. So I contacted a couple who I have been hanging out with and thankfully they also responded immediately. They said they would be at my apartment in a few minutes, and indeed before I had even finished dressing they were waiting outside my door.


It was already past midnight and thankfully the hospital emergency room was empty. There was one person being seen by the staff and within a few minutes of my arrival I was being treated.

The doctor, nurses and assistants were all very kind. They smiled and joked with me and made me feel very at ease. Within 30 minutes after my arrival I was walking out the door with four stitches, a story, and friends that I felt much more endeared to.
Matteo e Roberto - True friends indeed
I have recounted this adventure several times already to a variety of people and strangely it has actually made the experience something I do not regret happening.

The cut hurts, but not much more than a sliver or hang nail. I must keep the dressings clean, but of course that is no problem. So what is the takeaway with all of this?

Even at the hospital in Perugia I felt as though I was LivingLifesBest. I am meeting the best people, developing the best friendships and receiving the best care.  I want to thank the people of Perugia, the doctors and nurses at the hospital, but most of all I want to thank my dear friends Roberto e Matteo who came to my rescue in the middle of the night without hesitation. They have proven to me that investing in people makes you rich, not money. 

1 comment: