Monday, July 2, 2012

Starting the trip in Amsterdam

Prinsengracht canal

 I have said over the years many times that visiting Amsterdam feels the same as going to a favorite Aunt’s house. I feel like I am settling into a favorite chair or eating a bowl of oatmeal on a cold day. It’s just that comfortable and that down to earth. If I were to compare it to an American city I would say it feels like San Francisco in the sense that it’s both classy and bawdy, stylish and gritty. Still Amsterdam is much more than its stereotypes and its showy indulgences.

One of the great joys of traveling is meeting the local people and finding out how they live. Though often the trials and tribulations they face are no different than ours. there are those cultural differences that can inspire us to change and teach us different ways of doing things.
Central Square

I am always happy to greet Amsterdam like an old friend. I don’t need to go to museums here (though they are amazing) as I have seen them. I don’t need to go to the many touristy places or do touristy things. I have no need to gawk at the ladies of the evening lining the streets with red lights above the door. Instead, I seek to meet the Dutch people. So kind and accommodating with a sense of humor that can take one off guard, they will surprise you with their genuine interest in you and their desire to help when ever possible.

This trip started out like most others I have taken to Europe. I have had a multitude of small problems from getting on the right tram to using phones. And since my arrival yesterday, I have had to call on the kindness of the Dutch. They have impressed me again with their willingness to go overboard to help little ole me. I will always come back to this city with a sigh of relief knowing I will enjoy the people and the culture.

The Cheese Factory-Incredible store for high end cheeses, spreads and food items
The Dutch love life and their life is built around the café as much as any French person. Many of their gathering places are called “Brown Bars” - called that because of all the smoke over the years.

These places have a lot of history serving as a second living room for the Amsterdamians. The bars are a place to socialize, decompress, sing and be merry. I was in one last night where the patrons, waiters, waitresses and bartenders were singing along with some Dutch song that everyone in the bar but me new by heart. Everyone was smiling, singing, dancing and just enjoying the moment without pretense.

With such a lively communal celebration, I understand why the Dutch smile more than some others. They have the same troubles but don’t take it all as seriously as we do. They understand there is a time to forget your troubles and laugh, visit, smile and enjoy your friends, family and community.
The Cheese Factory cheese


I am writing these words as I fly to Milan. And though I am now in Italy (my second home), I am already looking forward to my return to Amsterdam….”my favorite aunt’s house” …….Now off to Perugia…..





3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this comment contains all that was in the previous 2 posts and some updates:

    sorry, couldn't meet up with you in amsterdam, due to family affairs. maybe some other time.

    the cafe you were in with the dutch singing dutch songs is a smartlappen cafe, kind of dutch simple folk-pop songs about love's lost, daddies having abondoned their children, people being alone.
    it does not have any or the musical quality of a fado, torch song or chanson. the "music" of the smartlap or levenslied is simply appallingly bad

    this site describes smartlappen best, also known as levenslied, song about life's joys and miseries

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levenslied




    "brown" cafe's are called brown, (and germans always panic when a dutchman offers them to show them a few "brown" cafes, as in german it refers to their nazi past, nazis wearing brown shirts), because their interior consists of old brown furniture and walls. a cafe in the old style.

    brown cafe's explained:

    http://www.iamsterdam.com/en-GB/Experience/What%20to%20do/Eating%20and%20drinking/Brown%20cafes

    yes, they used to smoke there as in any other pub, till our smoking ban starting july 1, 2008

    gay canal pride in amsterdam on August 4, 2012:


    http://www.amsterdamgaypride.nl/canal_parade/

    should you be in Amsterdam again then

    ReplyDelete