Friday, July 20, 2012

And the band plays on.....

Last night I made plans to return to a restaurant called "Antica Trattoria delle Volte" that is located at the end of Piazza Matteotti on Via Volte della Pace. I have been there twice already, and thankfully,
I developed a strong connection with the family from the first moment. The menu has typical Umbrian fare as well as some Sicilian dishes, proving that Sicilians are always proud to be Sicilian.



Carmello Messina
Since I had already established a relationship with everyone, the family encouraged me to come on a Thursday night to hear the son (who is one of the waiters) sing live. 

Mamma, like all Italian mothers, is very proud of her son and shot many photos and videos throughout the performance. When I said she must be very proud of her son, she of course smiled from ear to ear - and made it known that he had studied for many years in school to arrive at this point.

The evening was very warm, but we sat outside in the best seats for the performance. We ate, we listened, and sang along as Carmello put on a splendid performance. And what a showman he was. He sang with heart and passion for several hours.

With me at the restaurant were two friends from school. One woman is from Albania and other from the USA. We had a marvelous time, and in fact, it was one of the better evenings I have had so far in Perugia.

The jazz festival might be over but the music never stops. This is a wonderfully alive city overflowing with talent and kindness. Everyday I seem to make new friends and connections. Perugia is a special place and Antica Trattoria delle Volte is one of its shining examples of the people that call this city home.

 I would not be surprised if a few of you out there are jealous that I am here and you are not, however, this can change. I am obviously LivingLifesBest in Perugia but I encourage you to find a way to come and live what I am living, here in this very special place.

I am returning today to interview the family so I can prepare a article about the food here in Perugia and Umbria. It's true that the jazz festival is over, but the band plays on.

No comments:

Post a Comment