Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The master of street food


Matteo - The master of Panini

Since 1916 four generations have prepared oven roasted pork has been on the menu at a little stand in Piazza Matteotti called Antica Salumeria Granieri Amato. Cooked in a Wood fired oven the pork develops a wonderfully crispy skin that is contrasted by  moist herb stuffed meat. Matteo carefully carves the pork with a sharp knife before placing it on a hard Italian roll.
Like most businesses in Italy there is more than just food being served. There are relationships involved. 

I have seen several Porchetta stands in different places around Italy, but for whatever reason I had never tried one of these delicious Panini sandwiches.

During the Umbria Jazz Festival there were a few days when I was waiting on some money to come in and was eating as economically as I could. After passing this Panini stand about the fourth time I noticed to price posted 2.80 euro.

Well, I was ready for this sandwich I had desired for too long. I waited patiently in line while regulars got caught up with the man cutting the beautiful pork sandwiches. I watched as he used a combination of dark meat, light meat, and always a piece of the crispy skin.

When it was my turn I started a conversation with the young man running the stand by himself. His name was Matteo and his smile was as large as smiles get. He is one of those guys whose expressions tell all - surprise, joy, concern are all very evident when he is dealing with both new customers and old.

I was curious about how they prepared the porchetta and about the business, so I started asking questions. Matteo was the man helping me and he told me that for four generations the family had been making Porchetta, and as young as Matteo is I doubt he is going anywhere. I think he has found his post for now.
A hard Italian roll, roasted pork, herbs and crispy skin- Che Buono
The porchetta stand is at the end of my street so I have been getting a sandwich every day or two from Matteo, and even when I am only passing by we always smile and greet one another.

One thing I see in him is I am not the only one LivingLifesBest. Indeed, though life is up and down for everyone, Matteo has found a place in the world where he can please many people, locals and tourists alike. He knows how to enjoy and develop relationships. I have just a week left in Perugia and already I have moments of sadness at the thought of leaving behind so many friends. I am glad that the other day I tried another stand for one of these Panini, because it became clear after one bite that Matteo knows what he is doing but others do not.

The people of Perugia are special. Sometimes it can be tough to get to know locals if you are a tourist in Italy, but in Perugia I find it to be easier than any place I have been in Italy. I can see why Seattle and Perugia are sister cities. We both have proud, kind people who are ready to share food, culture, life and their hearts. If or when you come to Perugia make sure and do more than just greet Matteo and the people of this city. Ask questions and connect as it will be worth the effort. I know that I will eat a few more Panini before I leave for Rome in a week. And once I am gone, I will long for the day when I can return to see my friend and ask for a Panini. 

2 comments:

  1. Hiya Ian,

    I just read all your posts on this blog, of course in chronological order, this one being the last.

    Well done. It seems like you are having a hell of a time, in the good sense of the word hell, that is. And are enjoying all Perugia and Italy has to offer.

    Italy's economy must have had a boost from your visit, eating and drinking all that delicious stuff. All made with love and passions. Mediterranean food certainly ranks among the best of the world. And they know how to enjoy it. Slow food rules!

    It sure had my mouth watering. Cutting your finger while night munching it sounds like a mouse movement. Glad it wasn't fish or you would have had a fish(y) finger;)

    I hope your stay at Rome will be fine as well. Do as the Romans do and it will be more than o.k.

    Will read more if this has an update.

    Hugs from Holland, heatwave jsut over here.

    Jakob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Cubbie,

    a very well written blog and great photos telling me your adventures.
    Assisi seems also a great place to visit.
    Last year i bought a book with photos by a photographer, who had just finished his last photoshoot there minutes before the earthquake.
    When travelling the local food is often the best to get there and not take with you the potatoes from home, like a lot of dutchies tend to do.
    I never would have the nerve to stitch my own hand. I'd rather go to a hospital. You were well cared for.
    Looking for more of your adventures, i am here going to a physio for my lower-back.
    Love and cuddles, The Pink

    ReplyDelete