Tuesday, July 17, 2012

It comes to an end

Crowds filling the piazza at the main-stage
I was actually a bit sad when this last Sunday night the Umbria Jazz Festival came to an end. I had become accustomed to going out every night to experience one big party only 5 minutes uphill from my apartment.

I wish I could remember her name-she was great!!
My street is quiet for the most part and it was not until I arrived at the top of the hill that I would hear the music filling the main piazza.

There were two stages at either end of the historic center and several groups playing on the street that runs between. The crowds always waited with anticipation for the groups to hit the stage, and it seemed every night became more electric as the somewhat conservative Italians became more relaxed and seemed to dance more and more with growing enthusiasm as the week progressed.  
A clown keeps the attention of young ones

One of the surprising cultural differences that made me cock my head to side like a confused puppy was the number of strollers making their way up and down the main street with small children late into the night. And the parents having less fear than an American parent ever would have when it came to the sheer number of people crowding around the stroller. It was refreshing to know that there was no cultural judgement for this very family- oriented way of doing things, but also disturbing as I felt the children were a bit unsafe in these crowds so late into the night.
The crowd's favorite "Funk Off"


Several groups really impressed me during the week of the festival. The group that made the most lasting impression was "Funk Off," one that I mentioned before. They were insanely fun to watch as the jumped and danced with choreographed moves that sent unbridled energy into the stratosphere. Every time they took the stage the crowd went insane (by Italian standards). In fact, on the last night of the festival they were the final group to take the stage in the main piazza and for the first time I was able to see their entire performance. I was smiling from ear to ear and rocking back and forth with the group as they did moves reminiscent of a gospel choir.
Another great street performer
Then there was KJ Denhert. Wow this lady had some serious soul. I have a short clip of her so take a look at our YouTube page, LivingLifesBest.


http://youtu.be/CKCllV6YSkQ

Another highlight for me was the Roosevelt High School Jazz Band. I was so proud to see our hometown kids wow the crowds with their outstanding performance. Please take a look at them on LivingLifesBest YouTube page at:

http://youtube.com/7VhtWHxgtSs

East Park Reggae Collective
Though I could not get tickets to the sold out Sting concert, I did head down with some friends to the stadium and we caught a few songs looking on from afar before making our way back up the hill to end the night with a performance by a all white reggae group that blew us away.

Denis Montgomery III and the Berklee Choir
They call themselves the "East Park Reggae Collective" and with the cool sounds and relaxed delivery, we danced until we needed plenty of water. I can guarantee that if you had seen the smile on my face after the long closing evening of the festival you would have seen that I was LivingLifesBest.
Its not a party without balloons
I hope I can return one day to attend the festival again, but if I don't I will always remember this week as being one of the most enjoyable and musically fullfilling weeks of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment