Sunday, July 8, 2012

My life and my room with a view




The Spello valley, Assisi and Mont. Subasio from my bedroom.

A room with a view always stirs our souls. We find moments of grace looking out over a city or water, or in my case today the Spello Valley and Assisi (the home of Saint Francis). The apartment I have rented in Perugia for my stay has an incredible view, but not just any view. From my bed in the morning or evening I see the very spot where God spoke to me and told this ole Pentecostal to become a Catholic. 

My friends know I am very spiritual, and my close friends know I am more spiritual than most people you meet on a day to day basis, however, I do not wear it on my sleeve as others, yet I believe it has no less impact, in fact I think it has more. So it was no surprise to anyone when I departed for my journey to Assisi on vacation and a spiritual pilgrimage. The surprise indeed was not in going, it was in what happened. Allow me to share a brief story….

The street behind my apartment
On my first visit to Italy my friend and I had an arugument in the car driving just below Assisi. There came a point when we were not making any progress with our verbal sparing match so we both shut our mouths.

He drove while I looked out the window scowling. In the silence, God spoke to me in a soft but very resonant voice. He said “what are you so angry about, you are in Italy”? I literally started laughing out loud and told my friend what God had said. Well, he was not as impressed as I was, but then again when someone says God just spoke to you they are not often quick to believe or listen to what you’re saying.

As we continued down hill away from Assisi we stopped at the Basilica Santa Maria Degli Angelli in the town below the old walled city. It is a giant basilica built to house the original chapel of Saint Francis.

I was standing in front of the Basilica popping off a few photos when I heard the voice of God more clearly than I had in the car, as clear as ever in my life….Ian, I want you to become a Catholic. Well the short version is that I did. I was obedient and as a result I am making a difference in my community regardless of the politics of the church that do not reflect who I know God to be.
View at night

Now everyday from my room I have a view of that spot. Seeing the space that so drastically changed me clears my mind, pleases the eyes, and inspires me - but most of all it reminds me of who I am, whose I am, and where I am going. Being an artist, I always try to get a room with a view for inspiration and a type of meditation. A view in which the rest of the world disappears; a view where one can stop and be in the moment. For me, there has never been a more beautiful view seen through these eyes than this one I am visualizing as I write to you all. The hills of Umbria, its roofs, its green valleys - but I also I see me, my past and my future. I am thankful that this setting is much more than just a view to me; it represents the moment that drastically changed my life and its direction. It was a turning point of my life where my quest in LivingLifesBest began.

What view inspires you? What view calms you or most impresses you?

I hope...no, I pray that the views you see in your life will give you something you didn’t expect. At this moment the church bells ring and I am off to Sunday morning mass. and I pray that the views you see will inspire you and will help you to live your life’s best.

Happy travels - and don’t forget to stop and take in the view!

No comments:

Post a Comment