Saturday, July 7, 2012

My Pizza Obsession

Even the best Pizza in America can’t quite capture the flavors of what you find in Italy. Before my arrival my mouth would water when I thought of Italian Pizza in Italy. My idea of the best pizza has an almost burnt crust with bubbles. It’s crispy and chewy without having an over abundance of toppings. It’s not overly cheesed or sauced; it has just the right balance.
Fungi e Prosciutto at Pizza Mediteranea
The first night I arrived in Perugia it was late and I had had nothing to eat for most of the day as I was traveling.

I had heard that even on a Sunday night there was a Pizzeria close to my apartment called Pizzeria Mediteranea and that was open until midnight. Exhausted and hot, I climbed one of the steep hills of Perugia to the main piazza for this famous pizza. And for me it did not disappoint. The pizza was 5 euros and a quarter carafe of wine 2 euros (can you believe it? I just love Italy)!  

I was telling my friend Marco who lives here how much I enjoyed their pizza, and in typical Italian fashion he tells me its not very good and that there is a better Pizzeria called “Pompei”. Well now my curiosity is getting the best of me. Is there actually pizza that is better than the one I had already tried? I have decided I must go to both pizzerias and do a comparison taste test right? Poor me, I will suffer trying to decide who has the best pizza in town…but don’t feel sorry for me, I am just LivingLifesBest, and when I make a decision, I will let you know!

Buon apetito!

PS: If you live in Seattle like me, the closest pizza to true Italian pizza is Via Tribunali. I prefer the one on Capitol Hill, but there are several around town. 

No comments:

Post a Comment