Monday, July 2, 2012

Arriving in Perugia

Piazza IV Novembre
I arrived in Perugia on the hottest day of the year to the sounds of air horns blaring. The height of the day's temperature hit 100 F and I was carrying three pieces of luggage up the hill of an ancient hilltop town to my apartment for the month. As hot and sweaty as I was, there was still a sense of awe as I entered the old city.

Soccer fans fill the piazzas
The cause of this noise breaking through the beauty of this special place was clearly the joy of Italy's participation in the World Cup. You see, if you do not follow soccer you would not have known that Italy was in the World Cup Soccer finals with Spain...and Italy could not have been more proud to be there.

Men and woman draped in flags made their way uphill to the center of town. All the piazzas and restaurants from one end of town to the other were filled with thousands of Italians celebrating together with pride for mother Italy and her boys that made it to the finals. The Superbowl of soccer was about to start and there was an anticipation and excitement in the air that made my arrival very special.

So as I settled into my apartment, I continued to hear loud voices yelling and horns combined with the odors of home cooked Italian food from every house near and far. Not only was this the World Cup, it was also Sunday which in Italy is not only sacred as a day of rest and church, but also because its the family meal day where everyone gathers at the table for a nice long supper.

View from my room in Perugia
I was hungry for my first pizza and headed uphill to join the dedicated fans. If you have never been to Italy for pizza you can't know what real pizza is.

I had read that Pizzaria Mediteranea was the best in town and they were open late which is important in a small town. I ordered a mushroom pizza for 5 euros and a small carafe of red wine for 2 euros and ended up having my best meal in months.

The crust was perfectly doughy, crispy and brown with little burn bubbles on it. The cheese was flavorful and rich, the basil very, very sweet, and the mushrooms fresh. I was in heaven  - and all for a mere 7 euros. God is sooooooo good to me! I truly had planned on saving half my pizza for breakfast, but that idea went out the door after my first bite. In Italian we say La pizza e` buonissima.....The pizza is incredible. I was glad to have read and heard about this place. A superb choice to be sure!!! 

Well, as you might already know Italy lost the game and some pride. The crowd's  shoulders dropped in sadness yet they laughed and ate some gelato. So I did too.....Melone, pistacchio and banana... mmmmmmmm.  My favorite thing in the entire world is gelato so I consoled myself with it.

So thats it....I am finally here and ready for this adventure. In a city this old a lost game will not stop time from moving forward nor stop Italians from making and eating great pizza , or enjoying a passeggiata with a cone or cup of Gelato.

As I continue livinglifesbest, tomorrow I anticipate going to Lake Trasimeno with a new friend from school. So I am sure there will be lots to tell......

No comments:

Post a Comment